Saturday 10 April 2021

Day 8 - 99 -- A Somber Day

 I walked for a bit on this sunny day with a cool northerly wind. I had to hang onto my hat with the gusts between buildings on campus. I headed there to print some documents at the campus library. No courtesy terminals available due to COVID and I arrived without my laptop <sigh>. So, I will need to return to print over the weekend or early next week.  

I woke to the news that Prince Philip died this morning. While not surprising, it felt sad to see part of the past leave. He saw and participated in many of history's major events. Living two months shy of 100 years would play a role, but being married to the Queen ensured he would be close to the action. I saw him at least twice when the Queen attended church services in my home town, where the only high Anglican church in the province had been. I also was invited to a luncheon when he was honourary chairman of World Wildlife Fund. Sadly the mid-week event required a lengthy plane trip and three days  to fly down and back on either side of the luncheon day. I seriously considered going, but work had a couple of things that couldn't flex well. That and a day in Toronto would have been fun. My thoughts go to the immediate and larger family, especially the woman who lost her spouse of 73 years -- 69 of which he was royal consort to the Queen. Unprecedented numbers. 

In Canada, Prince Philip became the Colonel-in-chief of six units and was made honourary General of the Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Air Force as well as honourary Admiral of the Royal Canadian Navy. One of the units for which he was Colonel-in-chief was the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. Today I share the regimental march in honour of Prince Philip. 

The Piobaireachd of Donald Dhu -- The Regimental Band of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada




No comments:

Post a Comment