Friday 30 April 2021

Day 8 - 120 -- Weirdness

The cool and rainy day brought the last of the April showers. The house felt cool, likely due to the dampness. My mood kept drifting back to match the greyness of the day outside.  

The current public health order has been set for two weeks. We can hope that things will improve by then. The new case numbers remain higher than comfortable. From recent updates, it seems the numbers will likely increase as the huge backlog of tests are being processed. Many tests came from the asymptomatic stream -- a good thing that people chose to be tested without symptoms or knowingly being in contact with a positive case. However, we have been asked to refrain from booking asymptomatic tests for now while the province focuses on testing of higher risk people. I'll admit to feeling a bit frightened by it all -- and sad -- an odd combo. So many places across the country have had protests or mass gatherings just for fun. Being in lockdown or on curfew or whatever can make people feel put upon. I get that. But much like our Chief Medical Officer of Health said this week -- "Scared is what you're feeling; Brave is what you're doing." I do understand the fear, but am struggling to feel that what I do is brave. I can't understand what others feel in response to this latest wave of the pandemic. I can understand the difficulties encountered when trying to adapt to stay-at-home orders. The stories circulating about people heading to the next town down the road to shop or eat in a restaurant because their city is locked down make me shake my head. How can that behaviour be rationalized? We are all tired of this blasted thing, but without getting vaccines, tested when necessary, masking, or staying home we will be in the midst of this for much longer. We have that power to do our part, though not all people see it that way. 

A song from the distant past made me smile as I was thinking through some of the parts of the topic today. The title says what I've repeated several time in the past few weeks. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

People are Strange -- The Doors




No comments:

Post a Comment