Tuesday 27 April 2021

Day 8 - 116 -- Surreal Sore Arm

What a day! So many emotions. Many positives mixed with a healthy dose of fear. Today was vaccination day. I received the first dose.  The whole process felt so surreal. Wasn't it only last year that we were learning just exactly what this virus was and what it did? Here we are today getting a vaccine -- one of several developed over the year. As I said to the woman administering the vaccine, "Yay Science!" <smile> It is much more than that. Globally, scientists worked together to develop these vaccines. Collaboration built on the vaccine research that has been going on for years -- particularly of the newer vaccine technologies -- to focus efforts on this virus and now the variants. This cooperative process required funding -- without which nothing would have happened. It is a new way of doing business for the science world. 

I had so many emotions jumping all around -- going up and then down and then up again. I was anxious. As I waited in line, I felt something joyful with small moments of OMG what am I doing? I feel grateful that this is available to me and my fellow citizens. Even with the slowdown around the time of my appointment, it was minor given that we've waited over a year and felt such uncertainty that this day would ever arrive. When I left the clinic area and headed out the doors -- after sanitizing my hands for the four time during the visit -- I felt an immense sense of relief. Maybe even freedom. I wasn't certain if I should cry or shout for joy. I did a bit of both, though it was a quiet shout from behind a mask <smile>  

A dear friend who received their second dose had said that now they were on the bus. I think that I have likely just found the road and bus stop after a year of slogging through the bush with a machete. The second dose should have me boarding that bus to join friends and family. That is a 105 day wait. I may start a countdown <smile>. 

The choice for today had to have a surreal nature to fit the day. This one is a favourite from an iconic album and band. It comes from the psychedelic rock genre. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds -- The Beatles





No comments:

Post a Comment