Tuesday 6 April 2021

Day 8 - 96 -- Finding Safe Footholds

The day has been slow and not too filled with activity. The big news is that the sun appeared after a cloudy start to the day. So, after a chat with a colleague, I went for a short walk to get some milk and enjoy the brighter light. Some areas that I expected to be knee deep in mud were not. The sunshine seems to have dried up some areas but mud is present where ponding had taken place in the deluges. Good news was that I could circumnavigate the wetter spots and save my runners from getting caked in dirt. 

Being outside I made my way in a windy sort of way to get across the vacant part of a the yard next door. I generally do a straight line, but today that was not the best choice. Then I had to skip or hop a bit to move between puddles -- wet feet were not on the agenda today. <smile> Picking a drier path reminded me of the decision processes of this past year. Hesitancy, followed by a trial effort with a whole lot of hope that the step chosen got you where you wanted to be. In his one man show, Denny Doherty, formerly of The Mamas and The Papas -- and a from the north end of Halifax originally -- spoke similarly of making his way through life. He likened it to crossing a stream never knowing how deep areas were. He carefully chose to walk or jump between rocks, hoping the rock was dry and not slippery. Not all footholds were as safe as hoped, but moving to a better place could and did occur, always avoiding falling into the water. I expect there are days when standing on a dry rock seems the best thing to do since too much anxiety could come with moving to the next choice. Taking some time to breathe and check in with oneself embodies self care. That short rest allows one to take stock and weigh options of which rock to move to next. Moving on without taking a moment to surveil the area ahead could lead to landing on a very slippery rock and mess with the forward movement. 

The title and a line or two of lyric came to mind when making my way across the field area and gravel parking lot today. I'll share that song with you all today. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

The Long and Winding Road -- The Beatles



No comments:

Post a Comment