Sunday 25 April 2021

Day 8 - 115 -- Finding Some Sparkle

We had a sunny start to the day again. I headed out for quick visits to the drug store and grocery store. When I got home, I received a phone call from dear friends back in my home town. I had thought of them while making breakfast today since it has been a while since I mailed a note. We had a great chat that added to the sparkle in the day. 

I've been pleased to have a couple of days with more up than down this week. With the added limitations by the province on Thursday and again today on Sunday, there have been tears. We've hit the highest recorded number of new cases in a single day exactly a year since the last highest day. Why people refuse to stay home for a short time to get a better summer out of the deal is just so beyond me. My tears come from frustration with individual choices, sadness for the number infected and fear for those who are trying desperately to hold back the onslaught. Even with that, we are in a good place where public health and politicians work decisively and quickly when necessary. I found the sunshine delightful. It helped me to breathe and return to a calmer place. Speaking with my friends did the same thing by helping me laugh in the midst of fear. 

The title and lead line of a chorus came to mind today. While this provides two options for how our days can go, it focuses on the lesser of the two, even though the title focuses on the better option.  I felt disappointed that the lyrics tell of the difficulty more than the ease which some days bring to our lives. If I'd been writing this song <smirk>, I would have opted to try to balance the two ends of the spectrum and note that many days sit in between the two anchor points. I might also have used coal as the negative end point on that continuum. But, then, who am I to criticize a great prolific songwriter? <smile> I hope you enjoy this one. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

Some Days are Diamonds -- John Denver




No comments:

Post a Comment