Wednesday 28 April 2021

Day 8 - 118 -- Confinement

Outside the kitchen window this morning I saw menacing dark grey clouds mixed with tiny sunny spots in between.  So began the first day of the two week (at least) lockdown. We haven't been in this situation across the province for over a year -- despite the newscaster who stated 'never' <sigh> Late last night, my toaster made a funny sound and now only toasts on one side of the bread. Is this an essential item? For me it is. I hope that I can do a curbside pickup of an online purchase with the next grocery run that I had planned for today or tomorrow. 

As soon as I heard that the lockdown would begin this morning, I felt confined or trapped. I have always railed against being ordered to do something, but this felt more like a bit of sadness rather than frustration or anger. To be honest, I'm not sure how this will be different than how I've been living for the past year. I only go out to grocery stores or drug stores and try to space my visits over a 7 to 10 day or longer time period. In the past year, I have been to the hardware store twice and gift shops twice. I've been out to homes of friends within my bubble 3 times since January. What I've been asked to do by the new public health order varies only in that I cannot visit with my friends in person. 

I know this is for the greater good. I laughed when I heard the words of Mr. Spock (played by Leonard Nimoy) in my head -- "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." In one movie this was followed by Captain Kirk stating, "Or the one."  I've always felt these words described Public Health so well. And, after all, what else would this 'circuit breaker' lockdown be designed to do?  So, I will continue to find things to do at home and shop from the screen and outside pickup for the essentials needed. 

A few different lyric lines came to mind today, but this one fit better than the rest. The main lyrics occur in the first stanza. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

I Want to Break Free -- Queen 





No comments:

Post a Comment