Thursday 15 July 2021

Day 8 - 196 -- Embarrassment and Shame

Cloudiness filled most of the day with only sporadic sunny moments. No rain began until mid-evening.  It was warm and humidity grew through the day, too. I walked out Main Street to do two errands. The breeze helped things to feel comfortable. I found myself in the pharmacy getting a few items. As I walked away from the checkout I nearly stopped dead in my tracks. I had forgotten to put my mask on when I entered the store and here I was exiting. I felt mortified. No one said anything or even motioned to me. That surprised me. 

Not being 'covered' while in public brought interesting feelings. I am so used to wearing a mask, that when I didn't have one, I still felt comfortable. Once I noticed that I wasn't wearing one, I felt 'uncovered' and a deep sense of shame at being seen in this way. I also felt empathy for others I see around without a mask, thinking that they may have forgotten like me and necessarily be anti-maskers. This experience brought great perspective. I still chastised myself since I know better and had the mask in a pocket readily accessible. 

As I tried to come to terms with this breech of public health requirements, the repetitive chorus of a song entered my head. Now the song is about something very different, the chorus clearly notes my feeling that I should have done better -- so that says it all for me today. <smile> Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Words of Love -- The Mamas and the Papas



No comments:

Post a Comment