Thursday 22 July 2021

Day 8 - 202 -- Deluge!

It was a busy mid-week day. After a phone meeting, I headed to the dentist for the next steps in preparing for the big repair -- two sets of impressions, photos, and a temporary cover for one of the canals to hold the anchor posts. More than I'd expected for the day, but it went quickly. When I left the office, there were a few sprinkles of rain. I stopped at two stores trying to find spongecake rounds and ended up with an angel food cake as the only available option. Weird. When I left the second store hoping to head to the third and final planned stop, it was steady rain. By the time I got to the car, it was pouring heavily. The bottom 6 inches of my jeans were saturated. I used the beach towel I keep in the car to dry off me and the car seats. Driving through town required wipers to be on high speed just to see a little bit of the road ahead. Needless to say, I headed straight home, wrung out my jeans and hung things to dry. The other shopping stop was completed later in the evening. 

Growing up on the prairies, I am no stranger to downpours often accompanied by thunder storms. Living on the Atlantic coast introduced me to full days of pouring rain -- sometimes two days in a row that dropped more rain in a day than we got in a whole summer in my childhood.  Monsoonal rains were new to me. I kept thinking we'd quickly drive out of the rain, which never happened. Highway travels on such days become impossible. I've driven to and from the airport (2+ hour drive) in major rain. Often these were part of post-tropical storms and in a couple of cases were part of hurricanes. To be frank, I'd rather stay home on such days and just experience things by looking out the window or listening to the sound as it hits the house. 

On the drive home today, I found myself asking if the rain might stop before I got home. Even if the intensity of the deluge lessened, it would help. That reminded me of a song -- imagine that! <smile> Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Who'll Stop the Rain -- Creedence Clearwater Revival



 

No comments:

Post a Comment