Saturday 31 July 2021

Day 8 - 212 -- Rail Travel

With the mixed sun and cloud of the day, staying inside to do the usual weekend chores seemed doable. So, laundry and cleaning moved forward. 

In between the cleaning bits, I watched a few documentaries. that I'd recorded. One caught my attention in particular. It dealt with the history of the royal train from the first with Queen Victoria to the current version for Queen Elizabeth II. The older trains are housed in York at the train museum. That is something my dad would have loved to visit. He was a fireman -- the fellow who shoveled coal -- on steam engines just before the diesel versions arrived. Earlier in the week, a social media group had been discussion travel on iconic vintage trains -- most of which are no longer in operation. The old world charm and opulence certainly was found in the older royal trains. The current one is less ostentatious than those from the first half of the 20th century. I found it interesting that both the conversation and then a documentary on a similar topic occurred within a few days of each other. 

I have traveled by train across the Canadian prairies and in England, but nothing with Pullman cars and fancy dining cars. I try to travel on trains that I think my dad would have wanted to try, such as the high speed train into London. <smile> Given the topic, I've chosen two songs to share today. The first was one of dad's favourites -- this by his favourite big band and a favourite singer. The second is a great folk tune about a particular train. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Chattanooga Choo Choo -- The Glenn Miller Orchestra with Tex Beneke and the Modernaires



City of New Orleans --Arlo Guthrie



No comments:

Post a Comment