Friday 30 July 2021

Day 8 - 209 -- Routines & Rhythms

The day appeared with cooler temperatures, but with little to no breeze so little could enter the house. Humidity still rules, though, so maybe not getting the air into the house is a good thing <smile>. It was a quiet day. I spoke with two friends during the day by video meetings. It does help to see and hear people when I'm home for the day. I did some prep for appetizers I'm taking to a friend's place tomorrow and cooked something simple for supper.  

Quiet days at home can be relaxing, but recent world changes have made such days feel a bit more challenging. Too much time alone doesn't feel great. I have been able to arrange virtual meetings over the week days to help with the isolation that is present still. Days like these leave me feeling like I haven't accomplished anything and looking back over the many months since the first lock down, those feelings only deepen. So much could have been done, yet dealing with the stresses of being holed up in one place seemed to paralyze productivity. I was only a year into retirement when things changed -- before a retired routine could be established. I have always loved to be alone to work on hobbies, read, watch movies, cook and such. When i felt the need, I would go shopping to see and interact with people, or call friends to go for tea, a meal or a walk. That rhythm from over the decades has been disrupted and I'm not sure how to re-establish something for the way the world is working now. I know I am not the only person dealing with such challenges. It just feels that way sometimes due to the isolation of the times. 

As I ponder my way through the newness today, a song came to mind. This title song from a movie holds a double meaning based o n the premise of the storyline. It made me smile, but then the words seemed to fit much of what I've been trying to work towards. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Change of Habit -- Elvis Presley



No comments:

Post a Comment