Tuesday 3 August 2021

Day 8 - 214 -- Fight Club

The day turned grey and dreary with expected bits of rain. Well, that forecast greatly underestimated the  amount of water that fell from the sky. It poured -- like POURED -- for a long time. It sounded quieter when I headed out for curbside grocery pickup around dinner time. At this time, it was just raining steadily. I still got wet and the grocery store employees placing things into my trunk wore rain ponchos to try to keep somewhat dry. I waited until it all stopped around sunset to head over to Main Street to buy milk. My shoes got quite wet walking through the grass, but the rest of me remained fairly dry. The odd flurry of droplets fell from trees as I walked along with the sky clearing and sun shining briefly before setting. 

Once darkness set in I heard a noise outside that sounded like a cat mewing. This was followed by the feline war cry. It all sounded very close to my bedroom window. Armed with a flashlight, I stood on the front porch to see if I could see an animal. I thought it might be hurt. I did find a wee face looking up at me from under one of the large ferns. Then I heard growling to the left of the cat. I thought they might have both ended up under the same fern seeking shelter or somewhere for all their posturing to occur. It all quieted down so I headed back inside, only to hear more screaming and meowing. This time I put on shoes and a rain jacket and headed out onto the lawn. Squatting down, I shone the flashlight into the massive fern and found the same face as before looking back at me -- hissing as I quietly spoke to it and made eye contact. When I stood up, it moved away walking normally so I felt it would be alright. I then shone the light in the direction it had run and saw two eyes in the darkness under the yew tree. Closer inspection with the light showed me it was a black and white cat that I'd seen in the area recently. The other one I'd not seen before. 

So why did I head out tonight? This is the fourth time in less than a week that I've heard meowing and sometimes yowling. Tonight the ruckus was louder and longer than previous evenings. I did want to know who the culprits were, too. <smile> I'm not sure why my yard has been the disputed territory, either. I thought of a lyric line when speaking with these two offenders -- "don't give us none of your aggravation"  -- seemed fitting tonight. <grin>  Any night could fit instead of the one noted in the title. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting -- Elton John




No comments:

Post a Comment