Thursday 5 August 2021

Day 8 - 216 -- 'Hope is a Verb'

Today was another day where the minimal rain forecast became quite heavy for a few hours. Due to the major downpours, I had to drive to an appointment that is walk-able, in order to avoid being soaked where the short rain jacket doesn't protect. 

So, while it poured outside, I attended a virtual seminar on critical hope. It focused thoughts on defining hope and recognizing what it looks like in our lives. I found some great points on which to reflect. A quote from Paulo Freire noted that "Just to hope is to hope in vain" since hope "demands anchoring in practice." While we often use this word as a noun, Hope is a Verb. It demands action if it is to manifest. Hope holds positive expectations for the future whether it be short- or long-term. 

What does hope look like? The group presented many aspects of how this wafts its way through our days. In many ways, the actions surrounding hope involve recognizing situations, learning from them -- transforming if you will, building or growing as a person, and sharing or inspiring hope in others. For me, reflecting in this blog helps me to recognize despair and hope. My pondering is meant to help me learn and grow. Writing it for me and posting my thoughts shares them with others. 

In the background earlier today, I had a documentary about a musical group playing in the background. The last song from their final concert came back to mind when I was pondering points from the seminar. Hope is at the centre of the song written by the Nobel Laureate Bob Dylan. Watch for the (younger) faces of Dylan, Ringo Starr, Ron Woods, Joni Mitchell, Neil Diamond, Van Morrison,Ronnie Hawkins and Neil Young. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

I Shall be Released -- The Band



No comments:

Post a Comment