Thursday 12 August 2021

Day 8 - 223 -- Advanced Polls

This has been a day of errands. The temperature was crazy hot with extreme humidity -- when the actual temperature feels 10-12 degrees Celsius warmer. So today felt like 40C (104F). It won't  cool overnight for another couple of days, each with extreme humidity and heat warnings. I was glad for the air conditioning in the stores and the car today. It was a life saver. I needed a new lamp and got something less expensive only to find that the bulb (LED) cost more than the lamp! I still suffer from sticker shock with the newer bulbs. They do last longer and use far less energy, so those are all good things. I just have to get used to the cost. <sigh> 

I also voted in the provincial election advanced polls. It was a busy place, but ran like a well-oiled machine. Only about a dozen people were allowed in the waiting areas at a time. When your number was called, you waited in the hallway until someone called your forward. As I left the waiting room, someone went in behind me to sanitize the chair. There was a single desk for checking ID and voter registration card, printing a ballot, and receiving the ballot. I brought my own pen and pencil for signature on form to agree that my information was correct and the mark the ballot. Only one place to do that in the same room as the registration desk. After I placed my vote in the ballot box, I left via a back door and someone went to sanitize the voting area. It was very well done. It did take a bit longer than in previous elections, but I'd rather to this than wait longer on the actual election day. I didn't complain about the wait as it meant that people were voting -- a good things. Besides, I knew one person in the same waiting area so we had a good chat and catch up. 

My major activity today brought a song to mind. It is one of the many advocacy songs by a music icon. Stay safe. Enjoy!  

Power to the People -- John Lennon



No comments:

Post a Comment