Tuesday 17 August 2021

Day 8 - 228 -- Being Supportive

The news of the past days has focused on several humanitarian crises. Haiti just had a hit from tropic storm Fred when there was a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. People are still living in tents after the last major quake several years ago. In the next day or so, tropical storm Grace will ride over the country. I've paused a few times when I think of the storm name and what that usually means. This will create more difficulty for search and recovery teams. 

Closer to home, the fires in British Columbia are many, massive and mostly out of control. Several communities are under evacuation alerts. I recall my uncle noting that he'd been under alert 10 years ago when fire was closing in on Westbank and West Kelowna. He had his suitcase packed by the door as the call would mean immediate evacuation with no time to pause to pack. Today, that same area on the west side of the lake either is on alert or has been evacuated. I still have family there, so worry for them and others when the skies are red with flames. Other areas of the BC interior remain under alert just as they were last month. The images of fire and its aftermath are frightening -- and I'm at a distance. What would it be like if that was outside my window? I do live in a forested region and have had fire approaching from the east almost 20 years ago, but it was quickly contained before getting closer than a 10 minute drive outside town. 

I guess where my pondering led me today was that we aren't different than those currently under siege by nature. We need to support folks in desperate situations at home and elsewhere. Keep well. Enjoy! 

Nothing More -- The Alternate Routes ft. Lily Costner



 


No comments:

Post a Comment