Friday 4 March 2022

9-63 (4/3/22) -- Prisms

I moved a small bit of snow that fell overnight. The temperature was quite cold and the wind truly nipped at my cheeks and nose. After a lecture,I went for a walk to enjoy the prairie-like winter day. The bright sunshine of the day highlighted the crystal structures of the tiny snow flakes. They reflected the sunlight as colours -- mainly blue and violet shades. When shoveling, I realized that I was smiling since the day reminded me of home. When setting up for the virtual class lecture, the moderator, who is also from Saskatchewan, noted that when they were shoveling today, they thought of me, knowing the day would make me smile and remind me of home. So true. 

All of that visual input today made me think of prisms. A prism takes a shaft of light and deconstructs it to show all the colours within. Life does this with our minds and souls. Being a qualitative researcher, I disconnect the whole into its component parts and then reconstruct the information to show all the 'colours' I discovered in the process. Perhaps this metaphor fits our continual growth as humans. We or some outside force breaks us into parts that we then have to work at to make things somewhat whole again. The process is painful, but the outcome can be very rewarding. Change is part of life. Adapting requires much effort. It can be exhausting, but if we don't do that work we will feel less than whole. 

The music for today comes from an art-pop genre. I chose it for its way of describing snow -- the thing that got me thinking today. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

50 Words for Snow -- Kate Bush




No comments:

Post a Comment