Tuesday 29 March 2022

9-87 (28/3/22) -- Kindness Turned Inwards

 

I had two phone chats today and made several phone calls to deal with household business. I had two good news pieces from those calls <smile> However, I didn't get to the large project I'd hope to begin today -- but I did do a couple of smaller sorting tasks. I noted in a conversation that I need to be kind to myself. It is advice I often give to others, but seem unable to apply to myself. The response noted how I respond to friends and students (when I was working) and suggested that I might apply even a tiny bit of that caring and empathy to myself. Easy to say, but not so easy to do. <sigh> I seem to expect a lot of myself and my expectations for how long it should take me to do things are not wholly realistic. Imagine! <smile> 

The difficulty in turning kindness inwards may be due to the internal dialogue that fuels the superhuman expectations. I know that physical and emotional energy is required to do cleaning and sorting activities. Yet, the emotional parts are given short shrift in plans that seem to expect an automaton to do the actual work <smile>. I'm sure I'll get through, but it will take some time. Today I decided that I could do one of the harder tasks and then do a less emotionally involved cleaning task and then move back to the difficult one again. I will wear my ear buds and play uplifting tunes. Planning for a short walk or tea break during the day might help, too. I will these ideas on for size and see what works and what might not. I hope this will help me turn around some of the negative self-talk. 

A song of self-acceptance came to mind when thinking of being kind to me. The lyrics might be seen as a overdone self help affirmations, but the main message is one that fit my thoughts today. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Just Do You -- India Arie



No comments:

Post a Comment