Saturday 13 April 2019

Day 6 - 103 -- Taking Advice

Rain fell throughout the night and well into the morning. That made it easier to do the inside work today <smile>. One of the written tasks was put into another draft format. Reading through some of the course content before the final exam Monday is happening. There is no way that all video, audio and print materials could be reviewed in the final week. Seems I didn't take my own advice to students over the past decades -- I didn't start studying before the course ended.

It can be disconcerting when I realize that advice I provide others is overlooked by me in similar situations. I understand that when providing advice, I occupy a very different space than when I need advice. For some reason, that helpful aspect of brain work doesn't come to the fore when we begin to feel overwhelmed. Perhaps this requires someone external who can help the one seeking advice to see things in a more organized manner. Depending on the situation, we may not be competent to play both roles simultaneously. I haven't taken a course with classroom lectures for years -- like decades. Other courses completed have been online, which often allowed a student to work at their own pace. Some skill sets have returned -- note-taking, making study notes and critical thinking -- all different than those used as an instructor. So, study skills are rusty it seems -- well at least for a final exam covering all content. My goal involves spending most time with the section since the midterm that includes music genres with which I'm less familiar. Reading all my class notes will occur, too. Luckily the exam occurs in the afternoon, so no early morning necessary and hopefully that will mean a reasonable sleep. 

Given the day of the week, one song came to mind. The title has been my online nick for 23 years. The lyrics are fun and the singer a favourite of mine since childhood. Enjoy!


Saturday's Child -- The Monkees


No comments:

Post a Comment