Wednesday 3 April 2019

Day 6 - 93 -- Spring Nor'easter

What a crazy weather day! I woke to major overcast skies. By mid-morning, snow was falling. Big fluffy flakes turned to tiny flakes as I walked into campus. By the time I was almost to the building, ice pellets were falling at greater than a 45 degree angle. I managed to walk through a building to avoid half of the walk directly into the huge wind and precipitation. By mid-afternoon, the wind was ferocious but precipitation had turned fully to rain -- rain that was moving in sheets across the parking lot. On the top floor (third floor) the vibration of the building was perceptible. As I made supper there appeared to be no precipitation and the trees were not doing the I wanna be free dance. Twenty minutes later when I headed across campus to my night class, the rain was back in sheets. Luckily the wind was at my back most of that trek. When I arrived at the other building, my bag was quite wet and I needed to towel down the jacket and rain pants before hanging them on the empty seat beside me. When class ended, it was just a light drizzle but the wind was unforgiving. I felt like a mime walking against the wind at one point.

This is common spring weather -- a late nor'easter with storm force winds and mixed precipitation. One person made a silly comment about this not being spring like a family member in the southern US was experiencing. I suggested this person could move there, too, if it meant that much to miss this great season. That comment was met with little enthusiasm <smile>.  While I prefer a gentle rain, I was pleased that the snow did not accumulate here. The wind is to remain for another day, but with little if any stuff falling from the sky. I'll take it. <smile>  The headache isn't entirely gone today, but the cooler air felt good on my face when walking, which provided some relief -- beats an ice pack any day.

I found a song performed by an singer-songwriter with a well recognized voice. The lyrics fit with some of the painful precipitation today and the unrelenting wind. Enjoy!

Rainy Day Blues -- Willie Nelson


No comments:

Post a Comment