Monday 15 April 2019

Day 6 - 105 -- Altered Perceptions

Today saw the end of the course I took this term. The final exam was written in a huge rink arena with oodles of chairs and tables. I haven't written this kind of exam in a similar venue for eons. I found a seat near the front and where there was no one writing on the table next to mine. That helped with the expected anxiety since I couldn't see all those other people nor could I be distracted by all that movement. I carefully worked through the questions taking my time. It took me just over an hour to complete. As I walked back, it took little time for me to realize that one of the questions that had me overthinking things was likely answered incorrectly as I got a guitarist and a drummer mixed up in my head during the exam. Not a huge issue, of course. 

Seeing the world from the viewpoint of a student has been interesting. Obviously, I don't see things like those around me in class given my experience standing at the front of the room for years; I do see things differently, though. Even a glimpse from the perspective of someone else can help to inform one's take on a situation. I recognize I'm an odd hybrid, but I've enjoyed being on the other side for a change. There is still a lot of work -- just different than what I've done as an instructor.  

A line from a song ran around in my head today. This was the first single off the first album of an influential band of the '60s. Their style fit a number of sub-genres of rock. Enjoy! 

Break on Through (to the Other Side) -- The Doors



No comments:

Post a Comment