Friday 26 April 2019

Day 6 - 115 -- Enjoyable Events

Interesting events provided emotional highlights today. In the afternoon the annual celebration of new retirees occurred. This was the first year where I knew everyone on the list -- knew well enough to have a conversation if we were to meet at the grocery store -- not just a passing nod <smile>. One of my colleagues, the last one who was here before I arrived, chose to retire this year. The speakers did wonderful jobs of highlighting careers in just a few minutes. The Academic Vice President and Provost noted that this year saw the largest number of attendees. I enjoyed chatting with a number of people I hadn't seen over the term. It was like people had come out of hibernation in some dark cave, looking tired but a bit more relaxed than a few weeks ago. Finals are over and grades for graduates are due on Monday and other years a week after that. This allowed many people to take a few moments out of the usual routine to meet with others in a happy setting.

In the evening, I had a Skype call with members of my undergraduate class who are celebrating an anniversary of our graduation. Several things converged to make it difficult for me to attend this year. Luckily, electronic communications allowed us to converse while they gathered for dinner. It was such fun to see those familiar faces -- even briefly. Putting together a regular site for sharing updates may be the next step. Everyone was having such a good time. It felt good to see those who were able to attend this year.

Lyrics that fit both groups of people I had a chance to chat with today was chosen to share here. The words inspire listeners to make the most of life. Enjoy!

Reunion -- Bon Jovi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment