Saturday 1 January 2022

9-1 (1/1/22) -- Good or Bad?

New Year's Day provided a cloudy start to the year, but with above freezing temperature precipitation was only fog and misty rain. More rain is expected overnight and into tomorrow. On my afternoon walk today the air felt less cool than recent days. So -- not a bad start to this new year. 

Today also marks another year of blogging -- the ninth year. Where does time go? I'm trying a new way of counting the days. We'll see if it helps. I enjoy marking each day with a bit of daily life and deeper thoughts some days. I've been thinking of the need to be present, but recognize the need to have some future hopes and plans. I recalled the text on a coaster I received as a gift years back. "New directions to dream. New promises to keep. New worlds to explore." Cool, eh? Granted, some old stuff will be with us, since that is part of who we are, but there also will be newness. Managing expectations is necessary, too, but moving forward is necessary or else we stagnate. It isn't as simple as the dichotomy of good or bad since life is a mixture of each of these and lot of middling bits. Much more needs to be unpacked for the idea of progression or advancing. I'm sure some of these thoughts might find their way to the blog in the coming days. 

I've noted a few people on social media noting something that I've said often. At year end, people focus on all the negative and paint the whole year with that brush. Then, all expectations for only good and happy events are placed on the incoming year. Both of these perceptions are flawed. Even for the horrible years -- and the past two have been challenging for certain -- there are moments of positive feelings and events. There are things for which we can be grateful -- small things like a purring cat, a moment of sunshine, a song we hear, or a smile from a passing pedestrian. I try to keep my focus on this during the difficult days. I reflect daily and name three things that helped me feel grateful. This practice shows me that even a very bad day can have some lightness sprinkled through it. So -- for the next year I wish that you find things that bring gratitude, that you experiences moments of joy and moments of peace, and that you keep safe and healthy. 

The song today is about good times. They will be part of this next trip around the sun. Notice them and hang onto those feelings. Stay safe. Enjoy!

Good Times Roll -- Jimmie Allen ft. Nelly




No comments:

Post a Comment