Saturday 15 January 2022

9-14 (14/1/22) -- Getting Past the Gray

The grey day had temperatures above freezing. During my walk in mid-afternoon, a light rain began to fall. This became heavier by supper time and will turn to ice pellets with some freezing rain overnight. Snow will fall most of Saturday. In short, it will be a mess to move what falls. The ground will be muddy, so moving ice pellets and snow will be challenging. While I made a short list of household chores that need to be done this weekend, some may have to wait as there is only so much time and energy available. The frozen stuff will be the priority. Otherwise, it will all freeze solid as the temperature drops dramatically throughout tomorrow. 

I dislike storms that carry all types of precipitation. Rain and snow are manageable; it is the in-between types that create a lot of difficulty -- moving the heavier snow that becomes saturated and power outages due to downed lines and trees. It isn't something that I've gotten used to over the many years I've lived in this maritime climate. I recall a friend who lived here for part of her adult life. She had been on the prairies most of her life. She would write letters detailing how utterly nasty the wintry mix was. Until I experienced this myself, I didn't fully grasp her exasperation. It is weather that begs one to curl up with a movie or book and a comfy blanket -- by a fireplace even -- to escape the storm for a brief moment.  

I have taken heart with the noticeable lengthening of the days. Being a non-morning person, I have noticed this mostly at the end of the day. I often walk later in the afternoon and have found that the sun does not set before or during my usual walk time. That is a ray of hope. 

The lyrics to the selection shared here are very poetic. The words encourage that we paint things rather than accepting only the dull grayness. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Wrapped in Gray -- XTC




No comments:

Post a Comment