Thursday 27 January 2022

9-25 (23/1/22) -- Scottish Heritage

Today was a grey day again. However, temperatures were closer to freezing so there was some melting occurring during the day. I had a meeting about planning future activities and a phone chat with a friend. Both were enjoyable. 

Living in the 'highland heart of Nova Scotia'  brings traditional celebrations of Scotland closer. Today is Robbie Burns Day. I do have ancestors who emigrated from Scotland. I hope one day to travel to Edinburgh where a statue to one of my ancestors stands. Most of my lineage is from Ireland and England, but there is the one branch from Scotland. It would be fun to visit places where all branches began. In the meantime, I've learned bits of Scottish Gaelic. The furry one bears a Gaelic name being a lost boy in this town where street signs are in English and Gaelic. At official gatherings, the national anthem is sung in English, French, Gaelic and Mi'kmaw. I attended a ceremony several years ago where a local Scot addressed the haggis and then we all partook of this washed down with a wee dram. As a friend has noted, haggis is much like a sausage - and this one was more 'modern' than the traditional recipe <smile>. Tonight I will have a wee dram of Islay scotch but will forgo the haggis for an oat cake -- something that I was introduced to when I moved here and am not sure how I managed without them to that point <grin>. 

This year I decided to go a different direction with the song. No bagpipes, just a group from Scotland who made tartan cool. I love this ode to a weekday. It sounds so happy.  I hope the Scottish bard will forgive me <smile>. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

Saturday Night -- The Bay City Rollers




No comments:

Post a Comment