Tuesday 11 January 2022

9-10 (10/1/22) -- Advocate Lost

Overnight, scraps of snow and ice along the pathway to the street and on the car disappeared. Temperatures rose and then dropped by morning. The porch has much ice again, so more ice melter was scattered there. The sidewalk was much clearer but still had a few patches that needed attention. I went for a short walk to the bank machine and a longer way home. The wind is strong and cold. For a longer walk, I'd need to but on wind pants for added insulation. The forecast indicates that most days for the next week will not get above freezing. It is January, after all <sigh>. In the evening, I took a longer walk about 25 minutes one way with a big hill before the turn-around point. The winds had died down, so temperature was bit colder than afternoon, but not such severe wind chills. It felt quite exhilarating. 

Yesterday evening I watched a Sydney Poitier movie. To Sir, with Love was easiest to find and remains a favourite. As a friend noted, it is a great coming of age movie. We were kids when it came out. When I first saw it as an adult, it was from a very different perspective. When I was an educator, this movie brought insights and situations that I could relate to on yet another level. The recent death of Poitier brought several movies to mind. I enjoyed his acting skills in all movies and admired his advocacy efforts. I have one of his books, The Measure of a Man which showed another skill set mastered. The world is better place due to his presence. 

I chose a title song to one of the great Poitier movies -- one of many with great social commentary. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

In the Heat of the Night -- Ray Charles






No comments:

Post a Comment