Monday 16 January 2023

10-16 (16/1/23) -- Sticker Shock

I surprised myself today. I had tears in the grocery store -- just a few tears of sadness and outrage <sigh>. It is difficult to manage a budget with the constantly increasing costs. I have a budget to manage. How are others doing this? I was struck by the poor qulaity of produce like I've never seen before at this store. The price and quality may relate to some supply shortages. We will likely continue to see this for some time due to reduced amount of produce from California due to the flooding and landslides and such. 

I don't see many extravagances in my purchases generally. Today it was a small bag of pretzel crisps -- dubbed crack chips by a dear friend -- for the princely sum of $5.99!  I also purchased frozen samosas -- a new brand for much less than the usual store brand, which hasn't been anywhere lately. However,  the quality of the product is less enticing.

Oh, the produce!! I found gailan that was about $3/lb so was a good green for the week. Peppers were 3/6.99 ((!!). There were only 4 bulk tomatoes on display. They were very small tomatoes for slicing. Two of those were squishy .. I got the other two for $2.89!. Oranges were in bags with half of the fruits rotted -- like put your thumb through the skin rotten. The total for the day was $95 for which I got $4 in points. In the past when a total was that high, I'd receive at least 10% in points. LSS, the trip was very disappointing today.

The music selection shared here was playing as I entered the grocery store today. I was surprised at hearing this on a January day. I shook my head and likely should have just turned around and gone back home <grin>. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Summertime Blues -- Alan Jackson



No comments:

Post a Comment