Friday 6 January 2023

10-6 (6/1/23) -- Small Acts of Kindness

The day presented us with more cloud and coolness along with the remnants of an overnight dusting of snow. The weather advisory has been lifted, so only light snow expected for the next few days. I walked to the office on campus and spent time letting the computer install, restart, setup and restart. A great help desk person assisted to get the printer installed. Seems when the set up was done recently, the printers weren't installed. He walked me through the process and I can now print from my desk and not just from a stick. Cool. Small things can show me bright spots in the greyness of a day. 

I thought through the encounter with the help desk staff member and realized how difficult it must be at there end -- especially when dealing with someone like me. I couldn't find the four icons in the bottom right until I realized there was an arrow there for opening up a side bar. <sigh> At no time did this young man sound frustrated and he could easily have been irritated while navigating me around the screeen verbally -- even when I shared the screen with him. That did help as he could tell me which direction to move the cursor <shaking head>. It made me laugh a couple of times when the third prompt popped up asking if I was sure I wanted to do what I'd chosen to do. <smile> 

The interaction with the technical support made me realize that we need to be kind to each other. Then I discovered that we need to be kind to ourselves, too -- particularly on days when we feel a bit down. The lyrics to this song from many years ago say much of what I was thinking as I walked home today. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Try a Little Kindness -- Glen Campbell





No comments:

Post a Comment