Friday 6 January 2023

10-3 (3/1/23) -- Learning & Growing

Today, I made a quick shopping trip to Main Street where I picked up a couple of seasonal things on sale -- so got a bit of a head start on next year <smile>. I did a second trip after supper. Temperatures were just above freezing with little wind. I enjoyed the two walks. Earlier in the day, the sun was barely visible behind clouds. This evening, the moon was more visible as the cloud cover had thinned considerable. This may sound odd to write about here, but it has been a week since I've clearly seen either sun or moon. So, I was pleased to see even teir outline in the sky. 

I did a couple of seasonal greeting cards and hope to get the others ready to go in the next day or two. Yes, I know. I am rather late with these greetings, but it has been that kind of month. So, it is now or never. <smile> I also began work on a peer review manuscript. I know I've said it hear before, but I always underestimate the time it will take to read through and develop comments. Then the comments have to be typed and submitted to journal editors. I could spend less time and do a cursory job to make things go more quickly, but that is just not me. I approach this as an opportunity for mentorship, so detailed constructive suggestions for improving the paper are the end goal. 

I've had some amazing mentors though life -- many were peers with greater experience than me, but some were students new to the profession. Many friends have held a mentorship role as I've worked through the challenges of life. I consider myself very lucky to have such friends and colleagues to support me and to allow me the priviledge of learning alongside them.  

 Lines from the chorus of a song came to mind while pondering the process of learning and growth. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Learning to Fly -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers



No comments:

Post a Comment