Monday 9 January 2023

10-9 (9/1/23) -- Climbing Day

I spent much most of the afternoon on campus. I worked on some documents in my office. There were more people around today than any day for a very long time. I'm not sure who they were, but more foot traffic in the hallways than usual. I find it a quiet spot to concentrate on work, but today had more distractions. Next, I walked to an office off campus to deliver the documents I'd prepared. I should here back from them in a week or so. I ended the afternoon back on campus visiting a colleague. We discussed an upcoming guest lecture in one of her courses and another collaborative project. It was wonderful to speak in person rather than by text, e-mail or some virtual platform. 

I dubbed today the 'day of the stairs' <smile>. I climbed over 100 steps today. I'll admit that on the way home, the achilles tendonitis was yelling at me, but it felt good to have walked a few kilometres which included several hills along the way -- all in addition to the stairs. Speaking to people on campus was a delight. Also, completing the paperwork felt good. Despite the greyness of the day, it felt fairly positive. I even had several drivers stop to allow me to cross the streets. One situation on campus made me laugh. A young man came running out of a building chasing after two other students. He shouted at them noting that they had left without him. Now, he did this with a laugh. When he ran past me he smiled and asked how I was doing and appologized for the profanity. Small encounters with strangers can make or break a mood. Luckily, today brought  more elevated mood. 

Being 'stair day' had me thinking of the stairs necessary to get to my office. There are no elevators in this older building. Some days I hear one particular piece of music as I get to the top -- 71 the short way or 109 the long way. And just for interest, I climbed the 72 steps to the entrance to the Philadelphia Museum of Art a few years back. <smile> Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Gonna Fly Now -- Bill Conti (from Rocky)


  


No comments:

Post a Comment