Tuesday 3 January 2023

10-2 (2/1/23) -- Taking Side Roads

The calendar tells me this is New Year's Day observed. I already have meetings and appointments booked into the first quarter! The other day, I said that anyone who says, "I can't wait to retire" should be directed to me. I'll go over the calendar for a typical week and 'to do' list. In many ways, wishing that one were in a different life phase followes us through life. As kids we want to be in school, then out of school, then in a job and so on. Each next phase of life seems more attractive than the one we're in. We wanted to be adult so we could do whatever we wanted to do <smile> and then we want to be retired and out of a job for similar reasons. There are many pros to each phase, including retirement, but none provide the 'freedom' that many stated wishes infer. I've tried my best to take the advice of an older friend who told me not to wish my life away -- a great way to remind me to remain present.   

While reading and such today, the Rose Parade played in background. The theme this year -- Turning the Corner -- got me thinking. It rings of hope. I like this metaphor. Turning a corner on a road is a far cry from progressing along the path planned three years ago. The end point might still be similar but the way to get there has changed. We haven't just been in a traffic jam or road block and then can merrily head off like nothing happened. Something big did happen -- something that has altered our planned journeys. The route we will follow will be different. The original road isn't really there any more, but there are alternate routes. I like alternate routes. Big freeways and interstates aren't my thing. The side roads feel more comfortable to me. This is where I will be traveling in this next year -- keeping mind and eyes open for new experiences. The side roads show us the things we miss when taking the major highways and focusing only on the destination and getting there as quickly as possible. The side roads will help us continue to build for the future, just wtih an alternate plan for the process involved.  So, I hope I won't be alone on the smaller, winding roads. 

A song came to mind for some of its content as well as the name of the band. I also would suggest that we treat ourselves well so that we can care for our fellow travellers. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Nothing More -- Alternate Routes



No comments:

Post a Comment