Sunday 14 May 2023

10-130 (10/5/23) -- Multitasking Myth

Today was a very full day. The weather was pleasant with sun and less wind. I had a meeting with a research colleague and friend. In mid-afternoon I dealt with some business related to the move -- getting all the ducks in a row. <smile> Once that meeting ended, I headed out to get a few groceries. This meant going to the two major stores in town. I also stopped at three other stores looking for non-food items. Two stores had nothing that was on my list so I have to find alternate sources for the items in question. The other store had what I was there for and even carried the heavy bag to the car for me. <smile> 

 By the time I finished shopping -- or at least searching for things I need -- it was early evening. I made a quick supper and felt utterly exhausted from all the running around. A nice soak in the tub helped me to feel a bit better. I can see a number of busier days in my near future. So many things need to be done in a finite time -- one that feels too short, actually and adds to the stres level. I've read scientific literature on multitasking and little evidence exists to support this concept. When giving attention ot numerous things at the same time, attention is divided and nothing has full attention. This means tasks can be botched or done poorly. Depending on what is being done, the end results can be less than pleasant. Just think of trying to have a conversation about something substantial while your conversation partner is occupied with a mobile device or two and doing another task like making a grocery list -- mentally or on paper. The conversation that began hoping for a decision may not go as well as hoped <smile>. We just can't do this well at any age. Deluding ourselved into believing we can achieve the myth of multitasking will not get us where we want to go. Things take longer than we plan and we feel overwhelmed constantly. We feel that we are not reaching our potential and that there must be something wrong since others seem to be managing similar loads. Taking care or ourselves means we need to acknowledge that we aren't superhuman. I still hope that some night the gnomes will arrive and clear the backlog on the to do list. <grin> 

The selection for today is a silly song that fit what I keep hoping for -- be careful what you wish for <grin>. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

The Laughing Gnome -- David Bowie





No comments:

Post a Comment