Sunday 21 May 2023

10-137 (17/5/23) -- Practicing Self-Care

Today consisted of packing and sorting in the basement. It was a cold and rainy day with a frost warning overnight. It was a good day to be working indoors.I got through several boxes. Sorting emptied many. I think most of what is going with me has been dealt with in this storage area. I sorted some things that I brought upstairs -- thinning that a lot. Lots of paper recycling for the next curbside date.   

One box in particular was difficult to sort through. I've chatted about the emotional aspects of this process and have had several people suggest that I just move things and sort or store at the other end. I have done a huge amount of sorting, so that might be doable. I'd like to get rid of what I can now, though. I just have to do a self check-in while sorting to determine if I can do this or not. I have found that I can let go of lots of things that I couldn't deal with a year ago, so if I move some of the smaller boxes that create issues now, I'm sure I can get things sorted out in the future. 

The phrase of the day has been "Be kind to yourself". <sigh>  I've spoken of this need in past blogs. It seems easier to care for others or focus outside myself than it is to take my own advice and improve self-care. I'm working on  giving myself a break and not expecting some myth of perfection <smile>. A song lyric fit my thoughts today by stressing the need to find a place of peace and kindness. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Treat People with Kindness (TPWK) -- Harry Styles



No comments:

Post a Comment