Sunday 21 May 2023

10-241 (21/5/23) -- Words, Books and Blogs

We had big winds overnight and into the early afternoon, but temperatures were warmer and humidity was higher. I walked out to run an errand and light rain began about a block from the house. It had stopped by the time I was heading home again. Winds had abated, as well. 

While doing housework and writing work, I was pondering books. I have been making a pile of books to donate. There are so many books <smile>. I've had books since childhood. I still have a couple of the favourites from then. Each one becomes a friend -- some closer than others. They impact my world -- the way I see it and think about it. Some are great escapes from the stresses of the day; others add to my knowledge base or challenge my viewpoints. Simply put, books bring me joy. <smile> 

The written word is an amazing thing. The move from oral societies to written communications was key. It allowed us to record historical aspects of life rather than only passing stories down the generations. I've often thought of the number of written words in the world. It grows daily and with the electronic age, the reach of written words became immense. In some ways, the personal correspondence style found in various online platforms allows the world to see indivivual's moment by moment thoughts. Obviously, this blog fits this category. I've also contributed to the wider published written word through newspaper and newsletter columns, research journals, book chapters and such. These formal archives are easier to access than some of the online platform back logs. Brick and mortar libraries collect such publications. Through legal deposit legislation, national librariesgether copies of every publication within their borders. Some smaller documents often are scanned or in the past, were put on microfilm. Getting full collections digitized falls outside the budgets of most libraries, so to read some documents requires one to visit the library or archives. I love libraries. Walking into a huge building filled with publications feels like being home. One of my current projects will require visits to several collections to read items from the mid-1800s.  I'll admit that I'd rather hold a bound volume that scroll through microfilm or digitized copies.  

A silly song is shared today. It covers some of what I've been pondering and should make you smile. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Your Library -- Ludwig von Drake 



No comments:

Post a Comment