Sunday 16 June 2024

11-166 (14/6/24) -- Windy Day

I went out to run a few errands in preparation for the coming week. I got a replacement basil plant for the one that hasn't survived. The manager of that area was amazing and did not charge me since I had my receipt with me. I hadn't expected that, so it was a nice surprise. The day was bright and sunny and very warm -- as in hot. The westerly wind helped it feel less hot, though. It also helped to keep the bugs at bay. 

Winds come in many forms. Strong or light breezes or full on winds come with many names. Zephyr, Santa Ana, haboob, mistral, sirocco, squamish -- there are many from around the world. These describe winds of varying strength and temperatures. Some bring storms while others add calming tones to daily weather. Much like the many words for snow in Arctic indigenous languages, these wind names are specific to weather events common in various areas around the globe. 

Air movement is used in many metaphorical senses, too. Interesting how we use weather phenomena to draw pictures of our feelings. I chose a song that uses a wind metaphor to explain the need for a sense of freedom and escape. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Ride the Wild Wind -- Queen 



No comments:

Post a Comment