Monday 17 August 2020

Day 7 - 230 -- Deterrents


Today was a cooler rainy day. In fact, we expect rain until tomorrow evening -- not torrents, but a steadier light rain. This should begin to help the water shortage in the area. This afternoon, I visited the physio for the first time since February. We had a good chat about the current challenges of life.  Wehn I got back home, I managed some housework, a grocery order, and setting out an ammonia soaked rag in a plastic container with holes in the lid. This, after a visit from Rocky Raccoon and friend in the mid-evening. The adolescent-looking pair scurried away when I shouted out the screened door for them to move along, though one waited until I looked it square in the eyes before leaving. Around midnight, I heard the sound of something hitting metal. I walked to the front room and opened the inside door where I saw one raccoon standing up against the screened door. I shouted for it to leave and noticed that there were THREE others there now. So, the first pair went to get reinforcements. In 22 years I have not seen such antics and never more than one at a time in 2 or 3 times one has ventured onto the front porch. Needless to say, the furry one and I were both a bit on edge after that encounter. So, a search of the interwebs  found that ammonia odor will deter the critters. I'll let you know if the attempted break-ins continue. For now, I hope the soaked rag inside an aerated plastic yogurt container will do the trick. 

Well, given the big excitement of the evening, this song title says it all <grin>. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

Teenage Wildlife -- David Bowie 



No comments:

Post a Comment