Saturday 5 August 2023

10-200 (19/7/23) -- Waiting. Again!

Today involved the waiting game with the communications service provider. I have been without internet, tv or house phone for a week. The day after I moved house, a tech spent 3.5 hours pulling wires for the new build. I was connected to the world within 24 hours of moving. The following day as I sat down to listen to tv while eating supper, I discovered that there was no service with internet, tv or phone. a two hour phone call that was interupted when the first assistant disconnected me and failed to call me back. The second person had me repeat the same tests with the modem, but actually asked for the model number of the unit. Once that was finished, he told me they would mail me a new modem. I balked and suggested that a tech bring the thing to me and get it set up and tested. 

So -- that brings us to today. Just after 2 PM, I decided to call customer service to determine if I was still on the list for today. It took a while, but the answer was 'yes'. The guy came by just after 4 PM. He was very helpful. He works for the service provider and is well trained. The original fellow is a contract worker and was on the phone continually with someone who was walking him through the steps. <sigh> Today the tech checked signal in the line and found that at the larger routing station, a tech had used my line to set up another customer. He fixed both customer lines today. I also asked if I really couldn't move the house phone from the kitchen counter to a different phone jack -- as I'd been told by the first tech last week. We tested it and discovered that the message provided to me was incorrect. I also asked if there was a way to get a longer connecter cord for the bedroom tv that the first tech had set up directly in front of a giant window so the screen becomes unviewable during the daytime. (I'v been wearing a ballcap to deal with the glare and partly see the screen <sigh>). He provided me with a 20 foot cord so I can move the screen elsewhere. He also checked the tv in the living room and suggested I use an hdmi cable to connect to the dvd player/recorder. I agreed and then he asked if I had one so he would set it up for me. I didn't, so he got one from the truck. All in all a much better experience and is similar to those I've had in the past -- when they weren't contracting work to an outside company. I plan to discuss this with customer retention and emphasize that I shouldn't need to pay for the week of no service since this was an error with the tech not with equipment. Don't hold your breath <shaking head>. 

Happily, things were resolved well. The wait was worth it today. <smile> I heard a line from a song I've used in the blog a couple of times. It says it all -- it just isn't easy waiting for something you want or need. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

The Waiting -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ft. Eddie Vedder



No comments:

Post a Comment