Saturday 26 August 2023

10-220 (8/8/23) -- Resilience & Survival

The living room area boxes are almost finished. There is so much packing paper. It actually made me cry thinking about how I was to get it all out of the house soon. Emphasis on that last word. The whole dining room area is filled with flattened boxes and a few large boxes filled with paper. 

While in the midst of it all today, I looked out the living room window and saw the plants on the patio. This reminded me of a quote from Carl Sagan. "Extinction is the rule; survival is the exception." The seemingly never-ending emergency feelings add to the anxiety of the moving process. The plants on the patio all came from the yard I lived in for 25 years. One survived hurricane Fiona after being uprooted. I thought it would not survived and this spring it was bigger and happier looking than ever. A chunk of that peony is out my window. In addition, there are irises that survived the crazy winter. I dug them up in January when they were actively growing with shoots about six inches tall. Under the basement stairs it continued growing though without the green of photosynthesis. Again, I thought it would not survive. Instead it started over and grew amazing green shoots. I think it might have flower spikes next season. The tomato plant that was in the kitchen is easily viewed from the bedroom and living room windows, too. It is looking happier than when we moved. The last planter holds a chunk of one of a hosta from the other yard. It turned brown and crispy in the heat wave just after being transplanted into a pot. I watered it faithfully and once we got settled in the new place, new green leaves began. These have now taken over the major growth of the plant. Each plant in its own way has demonstrated resilience. If they can do this, surely I can, too. 

I thought of a few lines from a song today. I share this less known song by a well-known band. Keep safe. Enjoy!

Long Promised Road -- The Beach Boys



No comments:

Post a Comment