Sunday 27 August 2023

10-223 (11/8/23) -- Grocery Store Mystery

What a weird day. I got groceries and did a few errands before heading home. When unpacking the grocery bags, it became clear that the chicken breast that I had purchased for $9.90-something.was not anywhere in the bags. I usually do a visual sweep of the bagging area before leaving and did not recall seeing chicken sitting on it own anywhere after the cashier had packed the bags. <sigh> I called the store and spoke with the customer service desk. I asked if something was in their 'left behind' book. They asked the cashier who said nothing left behind at her register. <sigh> It's not that it fell out onto the floor as I wheeled the cart to the car <sigh>. The woman I was speaking with said the cashier would call me back after she finished with her current customers. That call came about 20 minutes later. I got three different stories from her. Firstly, she stated that she had no 'left behinds' today. Secondly, she noted that there was an exception with a man who left behind a package of chicken. I asked if the package price was $9.90 and she said that it was. Third change in the story was that the man who had been behind me in line was going to drop it off at my house. Now I was very confused. How will he drop it off? She said likely in my mailbox <shaking head>. I said I didn't have one (as I have a box at the community mail box). She said that I had spoken with him since we knew each other. I didn't speak to anyone while at the checkout. So, no. I don't know the guy. But he lives in XXX (a small community just out in the county). I wasn't sure how this was relevant. He had red hair -- again not relevant. Apparently, he told her he knew me and we both lived in the same community, so he'd take the chicken and drop it off for me. As she realized that this was not going to happen, she said that he must have lied and got a free package of chicken. I could tell she felt badly that someone would do this with her. Then she told me that I could come to pick up the package of chicken. What??? The clarification was that it would be put in the book and I could stop by and get another package of chicken for the same price. 

After all of this silliness, I chose to wait until tomorrow to go to get another package of chicken. During my conversation with the cashier, a song title came rushing into my mind. It did make me smile and giggle a bit, too. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Red Headed Stranger -- Willie Nelson



No comments:

Post a Comment