Sunday 27 August 2023

10-224 (12/8/23) -- Customer Value

Other than laundry and housework, today I went to the grocery store to  replace the lost chicken. of yesterday. There were no packages of locally packed chicken breast as there had been last night. The closest in price was $12 and was three breasts rather than the two I bought yesterday. The customer service woman was hesitant and told me I had to pay the difference since I didn't bring a package of two. When I stated that there were no packages like that on the shelf, she decided to give me the larger package for the price of the smaller one. Had the larger package been on the shelf yesterday, I would have chosen it over the other as it is cheaper per kg and had the whole breast -- the other had the 'tenders' removed. So, the book on that story has been closed. 

When I left the store today, I felt like a valued customer. That isn't always the case at any retail outlet. While the customer service rep didn't speak as she busily scanned the receipt and chicken package over and over. I was holding my credit card waiting for the need to tap or insert to have the discounted $9.90 come off the price of the replacement package. When she handed me the receipts -- yesterday and today versions -- I asked about using the card. Then she said I wouldn't need to pay the difference. Until then, she seemed rather sullen. Still, she chose to give me the $2.00 difference. I hoped she recognized that I had to drive up to the store twice to get this one product and that the error was on the part of a store employee. She didn't say anything, but I chose to think that she made an informed decision. A line from a song seemed to fit this event. I share that here today. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Respect -- Aretha Franklin



No comments:

Post a Comment