Saturday 12 August 2023

10-215 (3/8/23) -- Musical Evening

We had a new campus website launch today. It involved a new way to login and get to email and such. I looked and didn't find anything that seemed to get me where I needed to be. I called the Help desk. They were flooded, so the system asked me to leave a call back number. Over an hour later, I heard from one of the Help Desk people. He provided a web address I could navigate to and then discovered that I could to it from the Home page. The link has a new name and the look of the next page is very different and things have new names there, too. He noted that they were all learning the page, too. It seemed odd to me that there wouldn't have been a cheat sheet prepared and distributed prior to the page going live. Things aren't always as intuitive as techs might think they are. This has been in process for many months, so those to those working on the new look and links would not find it 'new'. The rest of us were in a bad place. I had to get a file to someone and had to defer to another software package not part of the campus site. It was a reasonably simple fix once we deciphered the new nomenclature so won't (shouldn't) be a longer issue. 

In the evening, I went to a concert -- the first that I have been to in several years. It helped me to put aside my frustrations from the day and to be pulled into the performances totally. Sadly, the event was poorly marketed, so there were about 20 people in a hall that holds over 200. It was an intimate performance by Joelle Rabu who sings Piaf and did some wonderful renditions of Harry Nilssen, Lennon & McCartney and other modern artists. She was accompanied on piano by her son, who was amazing. His virtuosity was stunning as he composed and arranged on the fly. I really enjoyed it and was pleased on some level that there was a lot of space between attendees. The opening act was a young woman who won the national music festivals award for musical theatre. She sang several songs from contemporary Broadway shows. She is one to watch with such power and animation in her performances. 

I chose to share two songs that were performed at the concert tonight. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

I Guess the Lord Must be in New York City -- Harry Nilssen



Padam, Padam -- Edith Piaf



No comments:

Post a Comment