Saturday 2 December 2023

10-335 (2/12/23) -- Recipient of Kindness

Something new to me happened today. I got my first ever flu vaccine. I am allergic to the preservative used in many vaccines. Over the past several years, formulations without the preservative have been produced and distributed. I began my search for a vaccine over a year ago, hoping to get one for last season. Several steps in the process pushed back. This year, I began the process earlier in the season but had no results through usual channels. Then a couple weeks ago out of the blue I got a message from a friend asking if I had been able to find one this year. She was able to arrange for me to get the vaccine at a mobile clinic that was in town today. 

I was extremely stressed when I arrived at the clinic. Everyone was so amazing. The RN who gave me the shot went above and beyond. He showed me the syringe (a single dose format) and the papers that accompanied it. He noted it didn't say it was XXX-free, but clearly noted the area where it said the preservative was only in the multi-dose vials. He also noted that earlier in the day, they called the distribution centre to double-check that it was what I needed. So, my plan to ask to see the dose and information wasn't needed. He also suggested that I wait 30 minutes instead of the usual 15 after the vaccine to ensure there is no issue developing. I was going to tell them that I was staying longer, but they beat me to it. <smile> It hurt a bit on injection, but I was very tense and that creates greater discomfort. I had a great conversation with the nurse while I waited since no one else was waiting for a vaccine. 

Overall the experience was great. I encountered amazing kindness to get to the clinic and at the clinic today. I was pleased to see people who enjoyed their jobs and spent time looking outward rather than inward. It made me smile and by the time I left to drive home, I felt very relaxed. 

The song chosen today deals with the expansion of kindness during the holiday season. I know there are people who carry this through the whole year. I met some today. <smile> Keep safe. Enjoy! 

A Change at Christmas -- The Flaming Lips


 


No comments:

Post a Comment