Thursday 14 December 2023

10-346 (13/12/23) -- Seasonal Expectations

The day was mainly cloudy. My only trip outside was to pick up the mail. Most of the plans for the day didn't get off the ground. I did get some wrapping and packing of gifts that have to get mailed now. I have managed to miss the mailing deadlines yet again this year. I hope to get lights on the tree in the next day or two. Cards also need to be written and sent out before next week, too. Gift shopping is almost completed -- just a couple more small items to acquire. 

The holiday season brings a lot of stress. Everybody is madly working to get things completed by the same date. Often, I think we expect too much of ourselves. Cooking, baking, gift giving, decorating, writing notes and cards -- it all takes a lot of mental effort and energy. Much of the activity is aimed to help us keep connected with friends and family and traditions. Being in contact with many people during Christmas may be the only time each year that we check in with each other. That isn't meant to be a negative. In fact, it can be enjoyable hearing from people to hear what life had brought their way over the past year. Even if the card only reads "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" above the signature, I find it comforting to have heard from them. Those closer to us may include exchanging gifts. I'll admit that I love this part of the season. It brings back some of the excitement from childhood. I often will open a gift each day, just to hang on to that anticipation feeling. <smile> I've cleared the top of the buffet for cards and decorations and once the tree has lights (and maybe some decorations) that will be ready for gifts. I love to sit and look at the lights at night. They bring a sense of calm and peace -- something necessary during the frenzied pace of this time of year. 

I chose a song that includes family members of the main singer after pondering aspects of the Christmas season today. The expectations sometimes lead us to overlook the importance of human connections. The translated lyrics can be found online. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Buon Natale a Tutto il Mondo -- Andrea Bocelli & Family 




No comments:

Post a Comment