Friday 15 December 2023

10-347 (14/12/23) -- Snowy Entrapment

 I should have stayed in bed. <sigh> My plans to do some shopping before my appointment went sideways when the expected less than 1 cm of snow turned into 5 (2 inches) by 9:30 AM and another 5 cm fell in the next hour. Again, this was on shore flurries. Snow clearing and removal equipment did not appear. The street plow went by at 11:45 AM when the snow magically stopped and the sun came out. Driveways were somewhat cleared between 1 and 4 PM when I was downtown. 

I got a ride down the scary steep and windy hill into town. I mailed a couple of parcels -- still one to prep and go. After my appointment around 3:30, I called every cab company in town -- about 6 of them. Only one answered the phone. He was the only one working today for his company and had 8 people in front of me and no idea how long it would talk to get to me. I added my name to the list and then called locals for a potential ride home or closer to homd. I is walkable in 40+ minutes, but with all the snow I wouldn't be able to walk along the shoulder of the highway safely. There is a back way that only requires one to cross the 2-lane tertiary highway. Again, with all the snow, the trail would be less passable. I finally called my neighbour and she agreed to pick me up on her way home from work just after 5 PM. So, I wandered Main Street and stopped in stores to warm up a bit and browse. I did find a couple of things I've been looking for and then a whole lot of things to think over -- things that would fit nicely into the new place. I got a couple needed items and will think through others. So -- I spent more than planned, but that kept me warm inside today and will help keep me warm at home in the days to come. 

It was a very uncomfortable feeling knowing that there wasn't an easy way to get home today. It was a mixture of many emotions -- desperation, trapped, abandoned, frustrated, fearful, anxious, dependent  and physically so very cold. The humidity made the below freezing temperatures feel quite bitter. Once I got home the neighbour and I rushed to change for the turkey dinner celebration for the residents of the neighbourhood. It was at the big house just 2-3 blocks away. I finally got warm as I sat in the dining hall filled with tables for four.  

I came to the conclusion that someone or several someones had been playing this song too much this season. In so doing, fate chose to answer their call.  <smile> I apologize to those who, like me, find this song a tad grating. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Let it Snow -- Michael Buble 



No comments:

Post a Comment