Tuesday 26 March 2024

11-86 (26/3/24) -- Keeping Connected

Tuesday -- grey day with cool wind again. Rain arrived by early evening. Went to campus to take the laptop to the Help Desk. A weird Windows message has been showing up and staying on my screen since last week. As soon as I explained it, the tech and the student assistant both said "Oh, yeah" in unison. This error message appears if one has not logged in through a hard-wire connection on campus. Wireless logins won't work. It must be their way of ensuring that those logging in are on the 'approved' list. Apparently, there is a work around that I may have to learn how to do. I know people who are on sabbatical overseas and they don't lose connection or get odd messages. I guess they knew the magic formula to keep connected <smile>. At least, it was an easy fix and I had a good chat with the tech. 

While on campus, I stopped by to say 'hello' to a friend. I feel somewhat disconnected since not being on campus daily. As I was walking along, I ran into another colleague and had a great chat. Yesterday, I met a former administrator -- one who was on the hiring group when I arrived -- at the grocery store and we had a good catch up. Last week, I met another retired admin person at the other grocery store and we had a great chat. He and his wife had an adventure when traveling in Asia. It was fun to hear how things worked out. 

Connections are important. At times, I feel isolated living far away from the bustle downtown and on campus and with new neighbours that I don't know. People always say hello or wave as they drive past me when I'm out walking. They are friendly, but I don't 'know' them. I do enjoy chatting with people when I am shopping -- customers and staff. Those micro-socializations can mean a lot, but spending time with those you know well, fills a deeper social need. I need to make a better effort to keep in touch with folks. I plan to phone and then find it is late evening by the time I think of it again. <sigh> It isn't that I don't want to chat, I just get mired in other things, it appears. 

When pondering connections, a song came to mind. The lyrics cover many larger concepts, even though it sounds more childish. Many covers have been done of this one, but I went to the original singer. Stay safe. Enjoy!

The Rainbow Connection -- Kermit the Frog



No comments:

Post a Comment