Wednesday 3 June 2020

Day 7 - 155 -- Slow the Race

A quiet rainy day here today. Light rain throughout the day is needed to help reduce fire risk level in the forests. I spent the day indoors with multiple online activity. I met with a colleague and attended a virtual conference session. In the evening, I streamed a mini-concert and visited online with a friend. During the mid-afternoon, I fell asleep briefly. I have been so tired recently and hope this feeling will leave soon.

So much happens on any given day, that managing the information input and finding energy to deal with self care become a huge challenge. I've made a day map that I try to follow. For the most part, the windows of time during the day do work better than a long to do list. I still find that some days become overloaded and I feel like I'm working full time again -- and not in a good way; yet there is no pay cheque to be had. <smile> I enjoy the research project writing, so it isn't without satisfaction. Some days are just too full for my liking. I suspect that the loss of control that I feel has to do with so many external things that I can't absorb when overwhelmed by work tasks and the ability to focus long enough to be productive -- at least on some level. Self care becomes key at times like this. I have several things available. A puzzle on the dining room table (which is in the kitchen as there is no dining room here <smile>) takes my brain to a place of seeking patterns and away from the irritants. A furry friend feels good and listening to purring is very soothing. A bath can help to decompress. Going for a walk helps with cortisol levels and distracts me with nature along the way. Visiting with friends mostly online these days helps to share laughs and provide mutual supports. Each of these is readily available to me. When I use these judiciously it helps put life into some form of balance and provide a moment of joy, calm or peace -- all three and I've hit the trifecta for the day. <smile>

Well -- a song about racing seemed to fit several aspects of the musings of the day -- being in the middle of race that I didn't mean to enter and sometimes winning big <smile>.  Stay safe. Enjoy!

Run for the Roses -- Dan Fogelberg










No comments:

Post a Comment