Saturday 27 June 2020

Day 7 - 178 -- Learning New Tricks

People can be their own worst critics. This may lie in the need for perfection. I had a great plan for today; it didn't materialize fully. I slept poorly so rose later than I'd hoped. I had a virtual appointment that went well -- technology on side for a change. I spent time in a sweltering office on campus as I found electronic and paper files needed for the next reports. I left there 45 minutes before a campus-wide 12 hour power outage. So -- I didn't get to write a report due by tomorrow and another by next week. Notes are ready for all reports, but coherence for comprehension is needed for others to understand the key points.

I felt frustrated that things didn't end as planned today, but I had been occupied during the day -- no sloth involved. Yet, I still seem to think I could have done more. As someone, once asked me when I was moaning about missing a self-imposed deadline, "Did anyone die?" <sigh> I an be a hard critic and expect much from myself. Treating self with kindness seems difficult. Is my 'to do' list a measure of self-worth? Now that's a scary things! I've told recent retirees of late that it takes a year to allow yourself to watch a movie and not do six other things at the same time. Perhaps as academics, the measurement is based on productivity. So not too odd that we feel inept at times given that environment. One more things to work on -- and yes, that is another list <grin>.

The title of the song chosen to share today says it all -- a hard lesson to absorb. This recent version shows that old dogs can learn new tricks -- hope spring eternal! <grin> Stay safe. Enjoy!

You Can't Always Get What You Want -- The Rolling Stones
















No comments:

Post a Comment