Saturday 13 June 2020

Day 7 - 165 -- Outside Events

Weather was all over the place today. Some sun and lots of rainy looking clouds. Rain forecast to begin late evening instead of early afternoon.  So, tomorrow may be wetter. Temperature was warmer than past few days with higher humidity, too. Luckily there was an intermittent  light breeze.

Some interesting outings today. First I headed to the Farmers Market for their curbside delivery of  everything I'd ordered. Had a good chat with one of the vendors who put things in the trunk area. After some laundry and household tasks, I headed to chat with a friend by the long-term care facility down the street. She'd had a window visit with her husband earlier and we met there to catch up in person instead of on the phone. Our short visit went for about 90 minutes! It was a pleasant chat.

While I was happy to see my friend from a distance and 'shop' at the market today, I felt a bit sad that things had changed so much. Visiting friends at home and chatting with the vendors at the market are things I enjoy. Not seeing more than one person at the market felt wrong. On the other hand, it shows we are adapting to a new situation. When putting the bags in my car, I had to ask who she was, when she greeted me by name. The mask, hat and sunglasses made it difficult to know who it was. My friend brought a small snack for each of us so it was like a mini-picnic on the park benches. Again, adapting, but not the same as in her living room. There is a distance to go with adapting attitudes of normal, I suppose. I enjoy the distanced visit and walk I've had this week, but yearn for things to be more like they were three months ago -- minus the snow and ice, of course <smile>. Not being sure where 'there' is right now can be a lot to process. As a friend often says -- we'll get there.

The lyrics of the song choice for today provide an acknowledgement of imminent change mixed wiht a hint of feeling helpless. Stay safe. Enjoy!

Waiting on the World to Change -- John Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment