Sunday 21 June 2020

Day 7 - 173 -- Day for Dads

Woke late from a good sleep. The cooler air in the house helped with getting some rest. I spent the day doing a number of household tasks and working through numbers of household accounts. Now, numbers are so not my thing. I can do it all, but it is far from enjoyable. I'd hoped to get to some correspondence but that will need to wait another day or two. 

Through the day, my dad came to mind often. I thought about how I just wish I could give him a call to tell him some of the good news things that have happened since we last saw each other and to ask his advice on several other things. I  am so lucky to have had such a wonderful dad who helped me become the person I am today. A social media friend asked viewers to name one major thing they learned from their dads. I responded with kindness. Dad knew so many people and seemed to understand what he could do to help when needed. He was great at choosing gifts that meant so much to the recipients. This came from a place of understanding who they were and showing them kindness. He taught me some basics of car care, diagnosing strange car sounds, and simple household repairs. He grew many plants from a home garden to flower and rose beds to fruit trees; our yard was wonderfully landscaped with gorgeous plants. A favourite of mine were gladiolus. He and I would check stored corms each spring and then head out to find some new colours to add to the mix each year. I still try to purchase a bunch or two each August when local growers bring them to stores. I miss him a lot. So, when a social media message from a local restaurant posted its Sunday special, I smiled and called in an order right away. Dad loved roast beef and would cook a roast most Sundays when I was growing up. The special today was a great mix of both of us. It was beef brisket (him) on a bed of cheddar jalapeno grits (me)  served with green beans and beef jus (both of us). I picked it up at the end of my evening walk. It was so amazing. So, I felt dinner brought me closer to him again. 

Lyrics from the song for today note much of what I've realized over the years. While the lyrics are written from the point of view of a young adult son, I believe they fit well for this slightly older daughter, too. <smile>  Stay safe. Enjoy!

Song for Dad -- Keith Urban




No comments:

Post a Comment