Sunday 7 June 2020

Day 7 - 159 -- Wildlife Adventures


Late last night while I was making a snack in the kitchen, I heard an enormous growling sound. I looked around to see my feline friend at the front door -- inside door open and outer storm door with screen partly up to get cooler air into the house. I ran to see what was up outside. Feline fur was puffed up bigger than I've ever seen with the loudest growl I've heard emanating from somewhere deep inside. There on the porch was a startled looking raccoon looking up at me as I slammed the inside door shut. Only once have I seen a raccoon up on the porch and that was the day I moved in almost 22 years ago. I've not seen signs of the critters around the yard for the better part of a year, so this was a surprise. I'd expected that it might have been another cat. Thankfully rabies vaccination is up to date. It took a while for both of us to calm after that adventure

The weather is cooler and rainy again today. It poured overnight a few times. Things look wonderfully green in the twilight-like lighting of the day. The little Japanese lilac has begun to bloom in the front yard. Once there is less rain falling in the next couple of days, I will have a go at the weeds in the flower beds. Among the sundry weeds are many mini maple trees. While those look nice as ground cover, they do need to be removed as they grow into tough-to-pull little plants in short order. Root systems become huge overnight it seems.

As a wise friend has noted often, we do need to take moments to be still and present in order to recognize the small things going on around us. Introspection can be helpful during present times, but we do need to look up and out to acknowledge and revel in moments of discovery and delight. These moments provide peace and calm that we can revisit as cherished memories. Be mindful. Be present.

The song selected for today was clear when I woke today and it had no contenders. This cover version brings a different rhythm and feel than the original. Hope it gives you a smile. Stay safe. Enjoy!

Rocky Raccoon -- Scary Pockets ft. George Krikes





No comments:

Post a Comment