Friday 19 June 2020

Day 7 - 171 -- Resiliency


This afternoon it was  35C (96F) before humidity (and not in direct sun). House cooled a bit overnight to about 26-27C (79-80F) -- and that was a noticeable cooling <sigh>. Standing and making breakfast with microwave and kettle caused me to begin to sweat. The humidity is rising during the day to make for even greater discomfort. Cooler nights are expected for the two nights after tonight. The province issued a heat advisory today. And to think, three nights ago we had a frost warning. <sigh> For those who haven't read this blog often, you will soon realize that summer is not my fave season. I prefer the transition seasons of autumn and spring and would like to shorten summer and winter extremes. However, I'm not exactly sure where one would need to move to have that combo.

-- yesterday, a wonderful songstress left this world at the age of 103. Vera Lynn was a favourite of my dad -- and many other parents of folks my age. I loved her voice. It had such a soothing quality to it. I didn't recognize the role that played until I was into adulthood. The lyrics she sang in that soothing way, had helped Britain and the Commonwealth nations through WWII, particularly those living through the blitz, transport of children, and armed conflict situations. The songs became anthems that upheld group morale and provided hope during the physical and mental health struggles of the time.

More recently the role of Vera Lynn's music would have been labeled as providing resilience. Much health research of this determinant of well being has occurred recently. I heard a keynote address on this subject at a virtual conference four weeks ago. The concepts brought forth by Dr. Robyn Hanley- Dafoe have been working their way through my daily reflections, particularly given the many new stressors of the  past 99 days since WHO announced a global pandemic. A few comments struck a chord with me. She noted that during a crisis, people need to know they will be OK. While we may be "hardwired for struggle," when things become difficult to handle often a feeling of failure enters our minds. Dr. Hanley-Dafoe stated, "Life is HARD. You are doing it" rather than ending that sentence with the word  'wrong' as we might be prone to do. A key coping strategy I took away involved expectation management. We expect so much from ourselves and sometimes from others. We can't be at the same productivity level as before March 11, 2020 with all of the extra stresses. This has led me to making shorter 'to do' lists and giving myself permission to not get through things in a single day. Some days other stuff arises that requires our attention. Some days we don't have the energy -- physical or mental -- to move that agenda forward. Some days we just need a break from it all. Whatever the reason, do what we can and be kind to ourselves and others along the journey. While it might have been a great day by my expectations, others might have had a less than stellar day. Recognizing that helps us to help others, which in turn reinforces our perceived value to others. I plan to continue to work through the coping strategies to be more resilient. I'm sure some of that may enter this blog space, too. <smile>

The calming and healing power of music was one of the reasons I started this blog. It provides me a place to reflect and work through the days and provides an outlet for the creative parts of the brain. Today the song choice is by Dame Vera Lynn -- and was one of Dad's favourites (fitting as we enter Father's Day weekend). It is one that I sang for him when I was in London a few years back as I walked through the title place. One line seems especially fitting for the current situation  -- "the whole darn world was upside down." Stay safe. Enjoy!

A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square -- Vera Lynn







No comments:

Post a Comment