Friday 12 June 2020

Day 7 - 164 -- Lack of Contact



it was a slow start to day. I accomplished little from the list or even off-list. I managed to remove all files from the manuscript submission yesterday and will let it sit a couple of days and try again. If it doesn't work, an editor has offered to submit it by proxy. I'm hoping it will work for me, since there are a few extra figure files and the cover letter that go in separately -- the former as part of the manufactured pdf and the latter not. So -- it is off my immediate pile of things to do -- for now.

I have been feeling a bit hopeless at times today -- just so much I want to do -- mainly to travel to visit a number of folks. So much remains uncertain other than the fact that this virus will be around for the foreseeable future. This isn't wildly different than many other viruses; vaccines exist for some of the nastier ones along with annual vaccines for the various influenza strains being the most common, while other vaccines are for bacterial diseases. It will likely be a year or more before something is ready to roll out to the world for SARS-CoV-2 (the name of the novel virus that causes COVID-19). to be blunt -- it is scary.  There is fear about going places since leaving home is where we will most likely encounter the virus. There is fear about not knowing when or if I can see my friends and family. There is fear about possibly giving it to someone if I am asymptomatic. There is fear. With that fear comes a feeling of hopelessness. To be clear, these feelings are fleeting. Most of the time, a degree of hope exists and plans and wishes for the future seem possible. But there are moments.

Days like today or even parts of a day when things seem gloomy -- like the grayness outside the window today -- a hug would be great. If things develop into tears, then a shoulder would be most helpful. Given the health risks of such activities, the world can feel even more challenging. The lyrics of the selection today note the importance of sharing the load. Ideally this could be in person, but I suppose there is a virtual way to share, too. It isn't the same, but it is all we have at present. Stay safe. Enjoy!

Cry on my Shoulder -- Bonnie Raitt



 

No comments:

Post a Comment